Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Reaching Canada, Reaching freedom

I've been a slave ever since I was a little girl. Every night I say prayers to God asking him to bring my June-lilly back. I told my girl about Canada, the land where you are free, white or black. She is to meet me there. I don't know where she is, who her new Massa is or how she is treated there but we will meet.

June-lilly grew up at Massa Hensens plantation. Her Papa died the day she was born from a horrible snake bite. I grew up with a Mamy and Papa that loved me very much, but they too died. I have lost many but I knew that no matter what I'd always have my June-lilly.

I had hope in life, that something better would eventually come along but it didn't. Acutally it got worse. One day the slaves at the plantation began talkin' 'bout a slavetrader comin'. I prayed all night that 'em slavetrader wouldn't seperate me and my June-lilly. That mornin' my June-lilly was takin away from me.

I'll find her in Canada, I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment